Saturday, July 13, 2013

Mongolian Naadam 2013


What is Naadam?

Well, it is the biggest National Holiday that takes place from July11-July13. Usually various aimags (or provinces) will have their own little Naadam celebration while the biggest one takes place in Ulaanbataar. The event features Mongolia's three main games: wrestling, horse racing and archery. The event starts with a huge production of traditional dancing, singing, instrument playing and athletes (contortion being a staple). After the show the games begin. The biggest wrestling event is held in Ulaanbataar where wrestlers fight for the Naadam championship.  So, this event from what I understand started back in Chinggis Khan days when he would prepare long training sessions for his soldiers to defeat their attackers.
The event in my aimag was awesome! Gosh, there is just so much culture and tradition, I almost got teary eye just becauseMongolians put such an effort and thought into this that everything that takes place has so much meaning behind it that it's overwhelming it a great way.

I will let some of the pictures speak now ....
"Hoshur" shops for the Naadam event



Who can see spot the little wrestler in the making?


Amazing Mongolian female traditional singer

I just had to!










Traditional round made by all wrestlers around the flags which represent the 9 Mongol tribes. In Ulaanbataar the flags are made with horse hair.

My Mongolian mom, who is two years older than me :)

My "Emee" (Mongolian Grandma)

No comments:

Post a Comment